Rely on Experienced Child Support Lawyers

With extensive experience across all areas of child support law in Perth, Havilah Legal’s experienced legal team are to assist you.


What is child support?

Child support is financial support for a child under 18 years of age.


What is child maintenance?

Child maintenance is financial support for a dependent child over 18 years of age. It is usually payable when the child is studying, has a physical or a mental disability or is afflicted with a serious illness.

Children of separated parents in Australia are usually covered by the Child Support Scheme, which is managed by the Child Support Agency (“CSA”), part of the Australian Government Department of Human Services.


When are you required to pay child support in Perth?

A parent is usually liable to pay child support if they are a legal parent and a tax payer for the purposes of the Australia Taxation Office (“ATO”).

The legal requirement to pay child support exists regardless of whether the parent spends time with a child.

It is possible for parents to reach a private agreement regarding the amount of child support to be paid, which is then documented in a Binding Child Support Agreement (“BCSA”) or a Limited Child Support Agreement (“LCSA”).

If a private agreement regarding child support payments cannot be reached between parents, then the parent with whom the child lives would register with the CSA so that they can receive payments.


How can Havilah Legal assist with child support?

Havilah Legal assists parties to reach agreement in relation to child support, including negotiation, application to the CSA, and the preparation of child support agreements.


Find out More

For assistance and advice relating to matters of child support, please contact our Family Lawyers today.